Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Mama (May 20, 1943 - March 10, 2008)

i rarely sing, because i think my voice is off-key. but, i managed to sing to Mama again this morning, while i was alone with her in the hospital in the hour right after she passed on in her sleep at 6am, from cardiac arrest, the nurses said.

i was moved to sing to her a song she taught me when i was a little girl, and which i have never heard anywhere else in my life up to now, only from Mama.

When I grow to be a lady
I'll be a queen,
A lovely queen.

Walking in the garden shady
In gowns of green
With silver sheen.

Maids of gold and white shall follow me
and suitors of the high degree.


although my voice broke many times as i sang, i did not sing off-key today.

Goodbye, Mama.

1 comment:

dave aL said...

Miss Jean. I know it was a beautiful song. I know you are not devastated by the loss, because I don't think you treat it as a loss. I am confident that you are attuned to the spiritual reality of death, and that you are dealing with it in an honorable and admireable way...