Wednesday, March 09, 2005

New Windows Opening

When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He always opens a window!

- Maria, The Sound of Music

***

i leave for manila on the first flight out tomorrow, and come back on the last flight in on sunday. i will be documenting a conference of non-government organizations in the famed resort city, Tagaytay.

i am looking forward to the trip, not just because travel always enriches and renews me, and not just because i'll be doing something i love to do (write) and am good at (document) and will be with likeminded people about my passion for community service, but also because i am hoping and praying that this trip will be the start of a new career opportunity for me, doing the network of conference documenting.

how i got into this opportunity in the first place is serendipitous. i have a friend and colleague who's a key officer of the national committee of these non-government organizations. for the last two years now, i have been helping them write and edit their regular publications and reports, for free-- because of my friend, because i believed in what they do in serving other people, and because i just simply enjoyed the work, with the enjoyment as compensation in itself.

well, what do you know? this national association of non-government organizations are able now to more closely work with an international grant provider who can provide them with the funds to hold national conferences like this coming one, and to hire professional documentors along the way. my friend suggested my name to them and they were quick to hire me.

the offer was very welcome to me, too, personally. i'd be earning the equivalent of my half-month salary in just two days of documenting. all my other expenses will be paid--airfare, accommodations, food, local transportation. it would be like taking a paid vacation doing what i love to do and earning extra cash from it for the kids and my summer vacation and summer lessons! : )

the most serendipitous thing for me, though, is that the offer came in just as i handed in my resignation as Chair, last month.

this is just another proof to me that when you follow your heart, even when you say goodbye to some things which are not part of your heart's desires anymore, new things come to you which are more aligned to your heart's desires.

when you follow your heart, you need never be afraid of what comes next, for you will be taken care of. always.

the Universe is a good place to be, if only we allow It to do its work.

5 comments:

Sana* said...

Dearest Grace,
I am So Moved by the last 3 sentences of this post of yours. Truly. It appeals to me in Such a Vast and Deep way, that I can't even begin to explain to you. There is something, some emotion, some Desire that My Heart Refuses to let go of, and I've been harboring it, for what seems like Forever, and there are a few things that are getting in the way of me, making that First Step towards it, But when I do, I am going to be 100% ready to accept Everything(bad and good), that might come from this decision. Thanks for sharing! You've really inspired me, and I hope he has a faith as strong as I do, and I hope even More that the Universe is in touch with this deep rooted Dream of Mine...
some day, our souls will meet.

Anonymous said...

May God go with you, and your Guardian Angel, does not leave you at any moment.
I really pray God, all your dreams come true, and make from you more than just an extraordinary human being. with sooo much wisdom and a brilliant mind.
And yes, Universe is a great place to be..!!!
all my love to you and your endeavors!!
Belbeth

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I seem to be unable to say any good things about "the Universe". It has let me down so many times no good thing would be able to overcome them. :-(

dan said...

Sounds like a good eal to me J. Go for it. Enjoy Life, we are only here once. Well, in present form anyway.

Nine Lives said...

i am back, friends.

i am gratified that my reflections on my experiences has helped you, too, Sana. whatever it is you (and him) are about to embark on, i wish you well, and i wish you the truest of hearts!

thank you, too, belbeth, for the affirmation! ... have "the books" arrived yet? (wink, wink!)

hendy, you make me smile. ... c'mon don't grow old before your time!!!

and as always, hugs dan, for the morale booster!!!

keep well, and stay gold, you all.